rinjani lombok Indonesia


So unique and impressive

I highly recommend prioritizing trekking Rinjani during your time on Lombok. It’s one of my favorite things I’ve done in Indonesia. The whole trek is picturesque, with impressive views of Bali, the Gilis, and beyond on a clear day.
Most treks last for 3 days/2 nights and depart from either Senaru or Sembalun. I recommend starting in Senaru and finishing in Sembalun so that you summit Rinjani for sunrise on the final day rather than on the second day. It’s a nice way to finish it off. The trek also takes you past the caldera lake pictured above, to hot springs, and along gorgeous scenery.
I also feel it’s a pretty cheap activity all things considered. Most packages include a night of accommodation in Senaru, porters, guides, all the gear you need, and food on the trail. Always book in person once on Lombok instead of ahead of time online. The price is always negotiable! You can ask anyone from the people working at restaurants and guest houses in Senaru to the guys with the stands in Kuta. Shop around for a price you find agreeable. I understand the pricing these days is usually around 200,000 IDR. It will vary depending on how good the gear is, how nice the food is, the group size and whether or not you want camp chairs and a toilet tent.
I recommend Rozak as a guide. I went with him for my Bukit Pergasingan hike (mentioned next) and adored his thoughtfulness and fun-loving personality. You can contact him at sajangrinjanitrek@gmail.com (feel free to mention me, and that I said to give you a good price 😉 ).
Note that this trek does not take place during the rainiest months in mid November-April.